You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Black screen, fan running, won’t turn off and no lights on charger

Hello guys,

My MacBook Pro late 2012 just turned off to a black screen. The fan keeps running even when I try to turn it off by holding the power button for multiple seconds. Nothing responds and the fan just keeps running. The lights indicating battery status don’t work and neither does the light on the charger.

Since i can’t turn it off I can’t attempt any SMC resets so I’m kind of lost at what I need to do to fix it. Letting the battery drain seems to not work either since i’ve Had my macbook disconnected from the charger for a while now and the fan is still running.

has someone had this problem?

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 6:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 8:32 AM

Hello melle_nl,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are having an issue with a blank display on your Mac. I'm happy to help you find some information.

Here are a few resources that can assist you with troubleshooting steps:

Mac keyboard shortcuts

If your Mac doesn't turn on or start up

If you are still having issues after reviewing the article, please let me know. Also, have you tried to connect the MacBook Pro to an external display?

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2019 8:32 AM in response to melle_nl

Hello melle_nl,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are having an issue with a blank display on your Mac. I'm happy to help you find some information.

Here are a few resources that can assist you with troubleshooting steps:

Mac keyboard shortcuts

If your Mac doesn't turn on or start up

If you are still having issues after reviewing the article, please let me know. Also, have you tried to connect the MacBook Pro to an external display?

Have a great day!

Sep 24, 2019 8:35 AM in response to melle_nl

melle_nl wrote:

Hello guys,

My MacBook Pro late 2012 just turned off to a black screen. The fan keeps running even when I try to turn it off by holding the power button for multiple seconds. Nothing responds and the fan just keeps running. The lights indicating battery status don’t work and neither does the light on the charger.

Since i can’t turn it off I can’t attempt any SMC resets so I’m kind of lost at what I need to do to fix it. Letting the battery drain seems to not work either since i’ve Had my macbook disconnected from the charger for a while now and the fan is still running.

has someone had this problem?

You can force a shutdown by holding the power button/touchID for ~6-10 seconds.

MacBook Pro Black screen, fan running, won’t turn off and no lights on charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.