You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac display flickering/blinking

Hi,

I have a iMac 24 inch Core 2 Duo (Early 2009). I installed a new SSD drive a year ago and it's been working great since. But recently the display started to flicker or blink. By flicker, I mean the display going from lit normally to completely black rather quickly and randomly. It starts doing it shortly after booting or waking up after warming up. I can then also make the display to flicker by banging on the sides.

I opened it and checked the display connector to make sure it was connected properly. The connector seems just fine. It looks like a hardware issue but I don't know what to look for. Any idea?

https://youtu.be/qXNA_fSJ5cA

Machine Model: iMac9,1

Family name: A1225 EMC 2267

Model Number: MB419LL/A

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 1:56 PM

Your GPU may be failing, after 10 + years it may be telling you it's time to be replaced. You can always remove the SSD and re-purpose it if you decide to get another Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies

iMac display flickering/blinking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.