You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage/messages not working

messages has stopped working on my iMAc. The left column updates with the most recently received messages and I can scroll up and down through them but i cannot select a a different conversation to read. I can't write a new message, and the right hand side is showing me the contents of a message from several years ago.

I also cant log out or anything because i cant select anything from the menu bar. This is the only app i have that is glitching.

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 9:16 AM

I suggest force quitting the app, then restart your iMac, check and install any available Apple software updates, then see if the issue goes away.

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to experience problems please let us know what model iMac you have, and ther version of macOS installed.

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2019 9:16 AM in response to sharpesharpe

I suggest force quitting the app, then restart your iMac, check and install any available Apple software updates, then see if the issue goes away.

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to experience problems please let us know what model iMac you have, and ther version of macOS installed.

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

imessage/messages not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.