You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home app works better when I’m not at home!

I’ve been struggling with my HomeKit setup since upgrading to iOS 13 last week. Whenever I open the Home app, most devices show Updating or No Response. The weird part is that the problem happens only when I’m at home. I’ve tried connecting via cellular from home, but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. I also pulled out my old Airport Express and set up a new, separate WiFi network at home, which also made no difference.

Now it gets weirder: as soon as I leave home, things start to improve. Once I get to the office and connect to their WiFi, everything works way better. It’s not perfect—I’m still getting some occasional no response issues that weren’t there before, but with a little patience, at least I can use the app.

I have about 150 HK devices and am running UniFi LR APs and a USG router. My hubs are two hardwired Apple TV’s and a HomePod.

Everything worked fine before iOS 13!

Oh, and why isn’t there a HomeKit topic on this forum?

Thanks!

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 3:07 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 29, 2019 3:42 PM in response to muttonking

Hi muttonking,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're experiencing issues with the Home app and HomeKit accessories. I'll be happy to help.

I recommend making sure that the accessories are compatible with Apple HomeKit. Here's a list of all the brands that are compatible with the Home app and your Apple devices: Home accessories. The list keeps getting smarter

Then you'll want to ensure that your Apple devices are fully updated the latest software version. This helps provide software improvements on each device. Here are three helpful articles on how to update your Apple devices:

1. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  2. Update HomePod
  3. How to update your Apple TV

Next, please follow these steps:

1. On your iOS device, please make sure that the Bluetooth feature is turned on in Settings > Bluetooth.
  2. Check to make sure that you're connected to your home Wi-Fi in Settings > Wi-Fi.
  3. Power cycle your two Apple TV units by unplugging it and plugging it back in through the power source.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and make sure that Home and iCloud Keychain is turned on.
  5. Download the manufacturer app for each accessory, then check for updates. If an update is available, check that the accessory is on and keep it nearby until the update finishes. If you need help finding the manufacturer app, you can open the Home app, press on the accessory name, then tap Details. You should see a link to the app.
  6. Then, restart your iOS device. If needed, here's how to properly restart your device: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

From there you can test and see if the Home app and the HomeKit accessories are working without any issue.

Best regards.

Sep 30, 2019 2:01 PM in response to muttonking

muttonking,

Thanks for getting back to us and for verifying that information.

Excellent job by performing those steps. It sounds like the issue is now resolved. If you continue to experience the same behavior, I encourage for you to contact Apple Support. They'll be able to investigate this behavior further for you. Feel free to contact them through this link here: Contact Apple Support

Kind regards.

Home app works better when I’m not at home!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.