You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my new 2019 iMac so slow?

Recently purchased a 21.5 inch iMac. 16 GB Ram. This machine was installed from an older machine running High Sierra. The new machine is very slow, slower than the the 2013 machine it has replaced. I have heard there may be problems with the 5400 rpm hard drive. I have no antivirus software and Ryte check only reveals poor speeds. Can anyone help?

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 2:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 3:43 PM

Thank you for your reply. I will do that. Never used this forum before. Many people are having problems with the 2019 iMacs. Best to try and and cover it up. Have a good day and thanks for solving my problem.

6 replies

Sep 30, 2019 3:19 PM in response to homevale1

There is nothing wrong with a 5400 RPM hard drive accept that they are very slow! If the computer is less than 2 weeks old and you bought it directly from Apple return it for one with a SSD instead of a HD. Rotating HD's are the speed bottle neck in any computer.

If your computer is older than 2 weeks, then your best alternative is to purchase an external SSD, install Mac OS on it along with your apps and then use the internal 5400 RPM HD for storage only. If that is something you are considering I'd recommend speaking to www.macsales.com, they can provide many alternatives for you and can help you select one that best suits your needs.

Sep 30, 2019 3:20 PM in response to homevale1

What drive did the 2013 have? If you downgraded from an SSD or Fusion in the 2013 to a 5400rpm in the new the HDD would absolutely be a problem. In that case you should either return the iMac and purchase a better configuration or else reinstall MacOS onto an external SSD.

(The problem with a 2.5" 5400rpm HDD is first that its only half as fast as the old 3.5" 7200rpm HDDs that once were standard and second that modern software has gotten more drive intensive. Anyone using one with 3rd party software has been at risk of spinning color wheels since El Capitan).

Sep 30, 2019 3:41 PM in response to homevale1

Although there may be a performance difference between a 5400 RPM and a 7200 RPM drive, the speed difference between the two shouldn't be drastic. If you're noticing a huge difference between your old iMac and your new one then I suggest checking some additional items before taking steps to replace your iMac with an SSD model:

1) Temporarily disconnect and additional peripherals besides the keyboard and mouse. (e.g. external hard drives, thumb drives, printer, etc.) and reboot. If the performance improves try reconnecting the peripherals one at a time.

2) Is your iMac creating the Spotlight index to make searching for documents easier? Indexing can be a lengthy process, but once completed will have a minimal impact on your iMac's performance. To check whether the indexing is in process first launch the Activity Monitor application found in the Applications/Utilities folder. Next, select the CPU Tab and click on the Process Name column to sort alphabetically. Look for a process named 'mdworker'. If you see that the 'mdworker' process is consuming a fair amount of processor time then the Spotlight indexing is in process and the system performance will likely improve once it has completed.

3) If you continue to have performance issues then it would be helpful to upload an Etrecheck report to see whether there are any other issues that need addressing.

https://etrecheck.com/

Why is my new 2019 iMac so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.