You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased iPod touch. What operating system will it have when it is set up again?

I erased my iPod Touch 6th gen so I could give it away. When the new owner sets it up, what operating system will it have? Will they need iTunes or just an internet connection to set it up? I'd like to print out some info to go with it. It will have a cable and wall plug for charging.

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 3:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 4:51 PM

It will run whatever version it had previously installed when you erased it. The latest one is 12.4.2. We don't know to what update you updated it before that. I hope you disabled "Find my iPhone" before you erased it so the next owner will not have to deal with activation lock.

6 replies

Oct 2, 2019 3:25 PM in response to ksingernc

Unless it was restored through iTunes and updated at the same time It should have the operating system it had before it was restored. There is no way to downgrade iOS versions.

Unless its one of the first models released over 12 years ago, it should not need iTunes for set up. Just a wifi connection.

You can point the new owner to these support documents: Turn on and set up iPod touch - Apple Support

and Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 2, 2019 4:53 PM in response to ksingernc

Unless you erased through iTunes on a computer which erases, restores and updates all at the same time, it will have whatever iOS version it had before it was erased.

If it had 12 before being erased it will continue to have iOS 12. Since it cannot update to iOS 13 as you correctly mention, it will not update to anything else, and since downgrading is not possible it would not have any other lower iOS version.

Erased iPod touch. What operating system will it have when it is set up again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.