You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused with Photos—maintaining my own folder structure for photo files

What I would like to do is to use Photos, but have the image files, my photos, stored in a folder structure defined by myself. That is to say the photos are not merged into the all embracing photo library, but I want to control the image via the Photos app. By this I mean I will delete and edit the photos with the Photo app and the files are changed in my folder structure. 

Can this be done?

I ask because I have been trying to do this for the past week. I have a half dozen folders with recent photos that I imported without “Copy items to the Photos library”, but it seems that a file deleted with the app are not deleted from the folder where the file is stored.

a. Can anyone offer any advice on how best to store photos independently of Photos.

b. Does anyone know of a useful guide on this?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 8:25 AM

No, Photos cannot do this. You can keep the original image files in a folder structure on your Mac, but the edited version are stored inside the Photos Library and not accessible in the Finder. When you edit a photo, Photos will just store the sequence of adjustments to be applied and create a preview of the edited version for the Media Browser. The final edited version will only be rendered when you export the photo from Photos. Edited versions are living in limbo in Photos. This will save storage and ensure a high quality of the final edited version, since the edits will always start from the high resolution original.

You need a different photo organizer, if you want the edited versions organized in Folders in the Finder.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2019 8:25 AM in response to Ian999

No, Photos cannot do this. You can keep the original image files in a folder structure on your Mac, but the edited version are stored inside the Photos Library and not accessible in the Finder. When you edit a photo, Photos will just store the sequence of adjustments to be applied and create a preview of the edited version for the Media Browser. The final edited version will only be rendered when you export the photo from Photos. Edited versions are living in limbo in Photos. This will save storage and ensure a high quality of the final edited version, since the edits will always start from the high resolution original.

You need a different photo organizer, if you want the edited versions organized in Folders in the Finder.

Confused with Photos—maintaining my own folder structure for photo files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.