You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Mid 2012 and Mohave

I'm looking for help and advice on running Mohave on my Mac Pro 5,1. I am currently running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I started to research the possibility of running Mohave on this machine. After reading the requirements of running the new OS, the Mohave update from the App Store does not show my machine listed in the hardware requirements.

From what I am gathering from other web sites (including another apple page) I've visited, the issue appears to be the graphics card on my old machine. This Apple page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898 titled "Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012)" list some options as far as which card will work.

I purchased a Nvidia Quadro K5000 for Mac listed in the above link and found Nvidia does not have a current or working driver including CUDA that works with High Sierra. After the OS loads, I get a dialog box saying CUDA driver Version 418.163 "Update required." This driver is the latest one and there is nothing newer. I understand in Mohave, CUDA (Nvidia version) is not required as it is included in the OS.

The question is, is there anyone who is in a similar situation that may have some insight into a graphics card that will work (accelerated graphics) including the drivers, on both High Sierra and Mohave?

Any thoughts or suggestions on the other issue having to do with software (Large investment over time) that will not run on Mohave because it is 32 bit, including titles that are no longer sold. Some of the software that will no longer run on Mohave renders 2 scanners I use daily useless. I think I may be able to get around this issue by adding another boot drive so I may boot into either High Sierra or Mohave. Any thoughts or insights on this work around?

Thanks in advance for the community's help

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 5:38 PM

<<will not run on Mohave because it is 32 bit,>>

all run under Mojave. It's Catalinia that will not run them directly, and Apple has not illuminated what solutions (if any) are available.

Your Mac Pro is not officially supported for Catalina no matter what Apps you upgrade.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mac Pro Mid 2012 and Mohave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.