You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" (A1278) longevity inquiry

My MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 (A1278) has been running strong since I got it April 2013. I keep it up to date with the current OS from Apple. What is the typical life expectancy of a MacBook? How long can I expect to be able to continue to download the current OS from Apple on my MacBook? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 6:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 7:36 PM

Computer are still changing rapidly, and it is impossible to predict what will make any computer 'not useable any more'. In almost every case, the computer continues to be able to do exactly what it could do on its first day on the job, and often a whole lot more with upgrades.

The thing that makes Users set their old computer aside (besides not being willing to repair them) is increasing expectations of what should be easily doable. That is NOT planned obsolescence!

One thing has been the inability of older computers to play Video in real-time. Another has been the inability to support advanced Network and Encryption standards quickly using built-in processor instructions. Another has been inability to do advanced graphics. Another has been processor susceptibility to highly advanced malware exploits.

Apple has previously provided a new MacOS in the fall of the year and continued support for two previous major versions as well. (but they are under no obligation to continue that practice.)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2019 7:36 PM in response to stevefromdewitt

Computer are still changing rapidly, and it is impossible to predict what will make any computer 'not useable any more'. In almost every case, the computer continues to be able to do exactly what it could do on its first day on the job, and often a whole lot more with upgrades.

The thing that makes Users set their old computer aside (besides not being willing to repair them) is increasing expectations of what should be easily doable. That is NOT planned obsolescence!

One thing has been the inability of older computers to play Video in real-time. Another has been the inability to support advanced Network and Encryption standards quickly using built-in processor instructions. Another has been inability to do advanced graphics. Another has been processor susceptibility to highly advanced malware exploits.

Apple has previously provided a new MacOS in the fall of the year and continued support for two previous major versions as well. (but they are under no obligation to continue that practice.)

MacBook Pro 13" (A1278) longevity inquiry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.