You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Photos won't open

I have a Mac mini which worked perfectly prior to the Catalina update.

Photos won't open. I have tried to repair the photo library but get the message:

The library could not be opened. Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library" (1000)

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 8:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 2:24 PM

Hello Peter Kendrick.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have not been able to open Photos, since updating your macOS. Having access to your photos is important, I will be glad to assist.

You have already performed some good steps to try and resolve this.

Let's try to open photos while in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2019 2:24 PM in response to Peter Kendrick

Hello Peter Kendrick.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have not been able to open Photos, since updating your macOS. Having access to your photos is important, I will be glad to assist.

You have already performed some good steps to try and resolve this.

Let's try to open photos while in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Oct 9, 2019 2:50 PM in response to Joseph_S.

I had to reinstall Catalina. I then had to repair photos library. I got the message, The library could not be opened Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library" (1000). I have lost all confidence in Apple. I purchased Apple TV to view my photos in a slideshow. An IOS update about a year ago stopped me viewing my videos. I was advised to purchase Apple TV 4K to resolve the issue. This made things worse. I can't view my photographs via Home Sharing as it crashes after 40 seconds. After 30 hours of messing around with Apple support they agreed it was a software issue. I was told to wait for the Catalina update. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. Viewing my photos via Home Sharing it crashes every time after 40 seconds. They work perfectly on the old Apple TV, but then the videos won't play.

Catalina Photos won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.