You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Must restart to have Dock appear in Catalina

I have installed Catalina. When I first start my Mac the Dock will not appear. If I then restart my Mac it will appear as it should.

Thanks,

George

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 7:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 8:46 AM

Try starting the Mac in save mode once. You can do that by walking through the following steps:

1) Turn off the Mac

2) Turn it on like you normally do, but:

3) After 2 seconds press and hold the Shift key untill the login screen appears

4) Sign in with your password. You might have to do this multiple times. This is normal behaviour in save mode.

5) Once booted, check if the dock is visible. It can be a little laggy, but that’s a save mode thing.

6) Whatever the outcome of step 5 is: turn the Mac off again

7) When it’s turned off wait 10 seconds and start your Mac like always

Fixed it or not? Let me know!

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2019 8:46 AM in response to georgemiles

Try starting the Mac in save mode once. You can do that by walking through the following steps:

1) Turn off the Mac

2) Turn it on like you normally do, but:

3) After 2 seconds press and hold the Shift key untill the login screen appears

4) Sign in with your password. You might have to do this multiple times. This is normal behaviour in save mode.

5) Once booted, check if the dock is visible. It can be a little laggy, but that’s a save mode thing.

6) Whatever the outcome of step 5 is: turn the Mac off again

7) When it’s turned off wait 10 seconds and start your Mac like always

Fixed it or not? Let me know!

Must restart to have Dock appear in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.