You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina and some of my programs using 32 bit technology are useless

I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. Should never have done it! Some of my programs using 32 bit technology are useless. I am unhappy! What can I do now? No, I do not want to upgrade at this time. I am still paying full price for a new Apple XR that is now being sold for $300.00 less than I got mine for. Come on Apple - I'm a dedicated user of all of your devices. Why are you doing this to me?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 8:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 11:38 AM

bjsalonen wrote:

Thank you so very much LeRoy Douglas! This is very reassuring to me! It nice to know there is an option to revert to the previous version. I do have a time machine, but no longer back up to an external disk. I don't understand the time machine well enough to know if the backups are on the time machine itself or need an external source. The only way I would dare do this is to drive 2 hours to the nearest apple store for help to do this with the Apple Genius's . I printed out the instructions. Could I just take my time machine with me to do this? Would this create other problems in the future? I'm a believer in keeping everything updated with the latest technology and privacy upgrades. I really appreciate your input, I just don't have enough confidence in myself to do it properly.

you can always visit the Apple store for assistance.

Falling back to a previous macOS is a standard procedure if the new macOS does not suit ones needs as expected.

Make an appointment —

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2019 11:38 AM in response to bjsalonen

bjsalonen wrote:

Thank you so very much LeRoy Douglas! This is very reassuring to me! It nice to know there is an option to revert to the previous version. I do have a time machine, but no longer back up to an external disk. I don't understand the time machine well enough to know if the backups are on the time machine itself or need an external source. The only way I would dare do this is to drive 2 hours to the nearest apple store for help to do this with the Apple Genius's . I printed out the instructions. Could I just take my time machine with me to do this? Would this create other problems in the future? I'm a believer in keeping everything updated with the latest technology and privacy upgrades. I really appreciate your input, I just don't have enough confidence in myself to do it properly.

you can always visit the Apple store for assistance.

Falling back to a previous macOS is a standard procedure if the new macOS does not suit ones needs as expected.

Make an appointment —

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Oct 9, 2019 3:37 PM in response to bjsalonen

I get it. I'm only 72 years old! We're friends again. And don't we look good for such "experienced" gentlemen!?

I feel the pain. I have had any number of software packages I relied on for years go away because the developer decided not to keep up with Apple advances. I used the Microsoft Mac mail client Entourage from 2000 until I had to buy a new iMac a year ago. It can no longer install on newer Macs because MS turned off the activation server needed to set up the program. It's not just Macs; I've talked to plenty of Windows users in the same boat we share.

Have you checked for Print Shop updates? It is in the Mac App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-print-shop/id934914736?mt=12

That doesn't say if that version is 32- or 64-bit but, if you open that App store listing and scroll down, there is a "compatibility" section that, if it is 64-bit, should say "Runs on this Mac" when you view it from Catalina. The comments say it is not a remake of the older version--new distributor apparently. Could be a dealbreaker. Anyway, see if their site has a trial version.

You can also look for other apps with a similar function there.

See what it says ad post back. I need to make some calls now but I'll try to check in later this evening. I'm on US Pacific Daylight time. Maybe my septuagenarian brain will have more ideas after my nap and a glass of good beer!

Oct 18, 2019 10:01 AM in response to bjsalonen

bjsalonen wrote:

I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. Should never have done it! Some of my programs using 32 bit technology are useless.

What is the issue? Fall back to your previous macOS in your case:

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Use DiskUtility Restore feature https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/restore-a-disk-dskutl14062/mac

If you are not happy send your feedback through official channels: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Oct 9, 2019 9:13 AM in response to bjsalonen

Apple is not here. We are end users like you and cannot affect anything at Cupertino.

However, if you give some details about the programs that stopped working, we may be able to offer some technical assistance.

A bit of history: All Mac Computer have been 64-bit since late 2006. On-screen warnings about 32-bit programs needed updating or replacement have been in place since Mac OS 10.13 "High Sierra" that released two years ago.

As Macs have been 64-bit so long, it is the duty of software developers to make sure their products are compatible if they plan to play in the Mac market. Many have, but many others have ignored Apple's long-standing and very public support of 64-bit computing And you are mad at Apple? Research, then get mad.

Oct 9, 2019 9:19 AM in response to Allan Jones

Okay, thanks for your speedy response. You'll have to give me a little slack here. I am 76 years old and have been using Print Shop for years and years. My hobby is and I hope can still be to create personal greeting cards for friends and family. I did reach out to the Print Shop developers and they are telling me to expect a response in a timely manner. I am sorry if I directed my anger to the wrong people I do ask your forgiveness, but while we are on this subject, is my 2013 MacBook Pro becoming obsolete? Is this going to become more and more of a problem as these updates occur? Thanks for being patient with me. I am a 100% Apple person. I don't own one thing that isn't Apple. Wish I could afford to have every new thing as it comes out. I listen to every Apple Event as it occurs.

Sincerely from a dedicated Apple Nerd!

Oct 18, 2019 7:34 AM in response to bjsalonen

I'm another septuagenarian in your boat! (77). I've been using Print Shop for year— I have many projects done and saved in their format. I also am an Apple person (I can hardly be a "fanboy" as a grandmother) and just upgraded to Catalina. Only to find my program—and all my saved projects inaccessible. Grr. I feel abandoned. I don't suppose we are their target market, though, so I doubt (actually, I'm ****** sure) they aren't going to listen to us.

Oct 18, 2019 7:58 AM in response to Skooff

It was good to hear from you and find out there is another person out there that feels my pain! Years and years of saved work inaccessible and gone. But more important than that, my main hobby is gone! I have searched and searched for a replacement. I really don't want a replacement, I want Print Shop upgraded so I can use what I have. I think we are two little fish in the sea, that don't really have enough impact to change the minds of the people that can help us. It was a fun ride. I will have many family and friends, missing their very personal cards from me. I enjoyed creating them, but even more than that, I enjoyed the expressions on their faces when they opened the card to see what new delight awaited them. Thanks for responding. If you find a solution - please let me know. I have a beautiful 2009 iMac upstairs that I was going to trash, that has a really old version of Print Shop. I may take it to an Apple technician to see if I can resurrect it enough to use it for that purpose. We'll see................ Cheers!

Oct 18, 2019 11:25 AM in response to leroydouglas

I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina and some of my programs using 32 bit technology are useless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.