You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina install fails - The file “Opt” couldn’t be saved to Macintosh HD - Data

I've just tried to install the latest Catalina version of macOs via the normal Software Update in the system preferences.

After a long while (>30 minutes) I suddenly get the error:

The file “Opt” couldn’t be saved to Macintosh HD - Data. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

I clicked on the restart button, and the whole process started again. After another 20-30minutes, the same error popped up again.

After 3 attempts of this, I used the Recovery and reverted back to Mojave.

This went cleanly, except I now have two Hard Disk Partitions, "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data"

Can anyone help me get Catalina installed and my disk back to one partition please?

Dave

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 5:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 6:22 AM

I was in this same position. I finally had to use Disk Utility and delete both apfs volumes; Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. Then I create a new Macintosh HD apfs volume and restored mojave from my Carbon Copy Cloner.

Interestingly before I did this I called Apple. What they suggested was for me to go back to Mojave and wait for a future upgrade release and try again. Not exactly the help I was hoping for.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 17, 2019 6:22 AM in response to David English

I was in this same position. I finally had to use Disk Utility and delete both apfs volumes; Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. Then I create a new Macintosh HD apfs volume and restored mojave from my Carbon Copy Cloner.

Interestingly before I did this I called Apple. What they suggested was for me to go back to Mojave and wait for a future upgrade release and try again. Not exactly the help I was hoping for.

Catalina install fails - The file “Opt” couldn’t be saved to Macintosh HD - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.