You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing file in Photos

After I clean-installed Catalina on my iMac, when I run Photos I get a pop-up window: "Missing file in Photos," followed by

"Photos with unavailable original files cannot be opened. The original photo “xxxxxxx.JPG” is either offline or cannot be found. Click “Find Original” to reconnect."

I click the "Locate file" and the folder opens, showing me the file in question. I simply click "Open" and then the Missing file error doesn't show up for all photos in that folder.

I have to do this for each and every photo, when it seems all photos are referenced correctly.

So none of the photo files are missing--I just have to click on "Locate" and then "Open" to fix the problem, but there are over 50,000 photos in my library I can't do this for all of them.

I tried the option-command open Photos to restore/repair the library, but that didn't help.

I have a 4TB external firewire hard drive connected to my iMac, and all photos are stored on this device. The file "Photos.library" is also located on this drive. The external hard drive is in the format it should work with Photos no problem, at least it was working fine with Mojave.

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 3:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 8:22 PM

Problem fixed.

When Photos asks me to point to the location of a photo, instead of telling Photos of the location of that exact photo, I had Photos open the top-most folder where all the subfolders for all photos are stored. Since this action Photos doesn't ask me to locate each and every photo. Problem solved for me.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2019 8:22 PM in response to LeeFromLittleton

Problem fixed.

When Photos asks me to point to the location of a photo, instead of telling Photos of the location of that exact photo, I had Photos open the top-most folder where all the subfolders for all photos are stored. Since this action Photos doesn't ask me to locate each and every photo. Problem solved for me.

Nov 16, 2019 12:28 AM in response to LeeFromLittleton

I have the same problem, only sometimes when I go to find that missing photo and point it to the correct folder on my external drive, it just doesn't work. The thumbnail is still blank.

Having migrated from Aperture recently Im pretty darn annoyed at Photos.

Why can't then just have a lot of the same functionality the aperture had? - specifically 'reconnect files'? Tuck it away under advanced tools or something.. I have about 2TB of phots and I simply can't fix the thousands that are not connecting properly.

Nightmare

Nov 16, 2019 12:45 AM in response to SpiceWeasel

There is no way that Photos is intended as a replacement for Aperture. You don't replace a $80 app with a freebie. Where Photos is weakest is exactly at the point of managing referenced libraries. Frankly, using Photos for a referenced library is simply storing up issues for the future.

My best advice: use a different, more powerful app to manage your photographs. There are plenty out there.

Nov 16, 2019 6:49 PM in response to Yer_Man

Well, to be fair, Photos WAS the replacement for Aperture wasn't it? Whether we liked it or not... (we didn't).

So.. expecting them to keep some of the useful functionality which they already coded and included in a different package doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

As for alternatives, I suppose my only choice is Lightroom isn't it? Are there any others you would recommend?

Nov 16, 2019 11:09 PM in response to SpiceWeasel

Well, to be fair, Photos WAS the replacement for Aperture wasn't it?

No it wasn't. It was a replacement for iPhoto. As I said, you don't replace an $80 app with a freebie. Apple simply got out of the market for pro- or serious hobbyist photo software. Just because Photos is now Apple's only photo manager doesn't mean it's a replacement for the far more capable one. At the time Photos was released I got marketing bumf as an iPhoto user extolling the virtues of Photos and how it was an enhancement on iPhoto. However, the material I received as an Aperture user was much more along the lines of 'sorry, but this is what we have now...' Even the most recent material from Apple, at the launch of Catalina tells you how to migrate to Photos but, tellingly, also suggests Lightroom as an alternative. Imagine that? Apple suggesting Adobe's app.

No Lightroom is not your only choice but it is the one most people end up with. It's very accessible, is now much more powerful than Aperture and there is a wealth of supporting websites and videos to help you learn it all over the web. Check out YouTube, for instance.

Other alternatives, depending on your usage and requirements:

CaptureOne is an excellent raw developer, but a bit weak on the library side.

OnOne Photo Raw had a few rough edges but is getting there. It is a mixture of file browser/library application

Mylio is an excellent app, especially if you have multiple devices, and has a very good library

PhotoSupreme and NeoFinder are both essentially cataloguing tools, and you'd need an editor in association with them.

Luminar is getting a lot of hype these days. I'm not sure it deserves the attention it gets. It's library element is poor

DxO PhotoLab is an excellent raw developer. Makes no promises as Library tool.

There are others. All have a trial period, so check them out.

Missing file in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.