You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to enable Keychain in Catalina - it keeps disabling itself

When installing Catalina, it hung on "Setting up your Mac" for roughly 10 hours, after which i restarted it and things seemed to work fine, except they're not.

Settings panel keeps asking me to Update Apple ID Settings, i enter my (complex) Apple ID password, and it keeps going in circles. Then i read that's due to Keychain being disabled so i went to iCloud, ticked Keychain, input my Apple ID password, Mac password, it ticked Keychain aaaand... after a few seconds it disabled itself again.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 5:36 PM

I had the exact same issue. Kept asking to Update Apple ID Settings and keychain will not turn on. To resolve, I had to completely Sign Out from iCloud, System Preferences > AppleID > Overview > Sign Out. When it asked to Keep Data on iMac I selected Yes. After reboot I then Signed back in to iCloud. Then I could enable Keychain again and made sure all other iCloud options where enabled and it stopped asking me to Update Apple ID Settings. Hope that helps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2019 5:36 PM in response to apavicevic

I had the exact same issue. Kept asking to Update Apple ID Settings and keychain will not turn on. To resolve, I had to completely Sign Out from iCloud, System Preferences > AppleID > Overview > Sign Out. When it asked to Keep Data on iMac I selected Yes. After reboot I then Signed back in to iCloud. Then I could enable Keychain again and made sure all other iCloud options where enabled and it stopped asking me to Update Apple ID Settings. Hope that helps.

Unable to enable Keychain in Catalina - it keeps disabling itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.