You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina os update converted my external hard drives to read only

Has anyone else have their external hard drives become "read only" hard drives after the Catalina OS update? 3 out of 4 of my external hard drives are unable to properly connect to my Macbook Pro late 2016. Luckily I have another hard drive to move the files to, but GOD is this annoying.

Apple should have sent out proper instructions for you to update your drives or something - but anywho - did anyone else come across this headache? By the way - the drives in questions are Seagate External hard drives 2 X 5tb drives and one 8tb drive (ALL SEAGATE).

Thank in advance for any additional information or similar issues.

Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 6:43 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 12, 2019 8:14 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Hello Allan, the drives are all formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) the one that actually still works is formatted as Windows NT Filesystem (compressed). Before, though the hard drives didn't have a problem being noticed and would properly stay connected. Although as soon as my computer rebooted after the Catalina OS update - - ALL the drives except one was recognized.

Have you come across this issue? It's weird - - I'm probably going to see if my PC can see the drives as well - and not as "read only" - - just awaiting the backup process to finish before I go poking around and accidentally erase or format in the process.

catalina os update converted my external hard drives to read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.