You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email for apple ID still locked to deleted duplicate account

Hi folks - I had an old apple account lying dormant with my personal email as its ID. I also had an apple account with my work email as its ID. As my job requires a lot of travel time I get a phone package with unlimited calls and data so I got rid of my personal phone years ago. I am now moving companies and want to change my current apple account to my personal email. I couldn't do this whilst it was the apple ID for the old account so I deleted that account +/-4 weeks ago. However despite this when I try and update the apple ID on my current account to my personal email I still get the message 'this email is in use and not available'. Its not the end of the world as I can set up a dummy mail as login ID but if there was an easy way to sort this it would be awesome.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 1:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 1:24 AM

You are very unlikely to be able to reuse the email address from a deleted account, if you wanted to reuse that address you should have changed it to a different email address prior to getting it deleted

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 15, 2019 5:24 AM in response to us413

If the steps in the article below don’t work, contact Apple ID Support, although I’m not sure they will be able to help. 

Apple ID - If you forgot the answers to your Apple ID security questions

From the article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option.  You may need to pick a problem that is slightly different than yours to get a chat option.  

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

Email for apple ID still locked to deleted duplicate account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.