You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems syncing iPhone SE after the latest iTunes update while still on High Sierra

So I'm an old-school fella who prefers copying files from my decade old mp3 collection to my iPhone. Since I'm working with a lot of A/V production software on High Sierra which aren't anymore supported in the newer versions of the OS, I'm at version 10.13.6 and there's zero possibility for me to upgrade to either Mojave or Catalina.

However, I foolishly upgraded to the latest iTunes, which currently doesn't allow me to browse the content of my iPhone, or to add new files. The little icon representing my phone when it's plugged in - gone. Apparently in Catalina now Finder should be used to do those, but my Finder doesn't show my iPhone (connected or not), which I connect through its USB cable as per usual. I saw screenshots that it should appear under devices, on my OS it doesn't.

Alternatively the Apple website directs me towards using Apple Music, which I can't find either in the Apple Store, nor anywhere else as an accessible download, as I suspect it's not compatible with High Sierra and it's only a part of the Catalina package.

What now? How can I still manage the contents of my iPhone, which was also upgraded to version 13.1.2 (the latest one I'm aware of). Seems like I've been either forgotten or completely left behind.

iPhone SE

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 11:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 12:24 PM

For iOS 13 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 running on OS X 10.11.4 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 15, 2019 12:24 PM in response to minotaur77345

For iOS 13 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 running on OS X 10.11.4 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Oct 16, 2019 3:43 AM in response to minotaur77345

You did nothing wrong. The updater ought to run automatically when you connect an unlocked device to your computer that it doesn't already know how to communicate with. There are other threads where people are seeing the same box pop up unexpectedly and are worried their computer will be updated to Catalina if they proceed. This has been an ongoing issue since the release of iOS 12, which I can only assume is relatively rare in the great scheme of things but which I see several times a day in these forums.

tt2

Oct 16, 2019 4:03 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the detailed info! In fact the one thing I could've done differently is connect the iPhone _after_ having it unlocked (I never paid attention to that, I think I paired the laptops with the phone once and it worked locked or unlocked if plugged in), on my secondary system after a restart, when I attached the USB while the phone was unlocked, it automatically brought up the window, installed what was necessary and now everything works as before.

In case this helps anyone...

Problems syncing iPhone SE after the latest iTunes update while still on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.