You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP Gmail and Mail on Catalina — odd behavior

Don't know if this is a Gmail issue or Mail issue.

After upgrading to Catalina, Mail can not find and synchronize to the gmail "sent" folder.

In gmail, the folder is labeled "Sent". Mac Mail insists that the folder name is "[Gmail]/Sent Mail, and there is no option to select or edit the folder name to the gmail folder "Sent". There is no way I'm aware of to change the name of the folder in Gmail.

The result is that the "Sent Mail" folder on Mail can't synchronize with the "Sent" folder on gmail and remains empty. (All of the sent email is properly stored in Gmail in it's "Sent" folder. This behavior was not an issue with the Mail app in Mohave, and appeared only after upgrading to Catalina. I have removed and reinstalled the Gmail account on the Mac several times to no effect.

Anyone have a bright idea — or can tell me what I'm missing?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 9:40 AM

Problem solved. Gmail support forums were all over it.

If you have this issue, go into Gmail settings and uncheck show for all folders. Exit and restart Mail. Go back to Gmail, and turn everything on. Exit and restart Mail. If Sent mail shows up, you're done. If not, rinse and repeat. Eventually it will start working properly. Not clear whether this is a Catalina Mail or Gmail issue, but I have my finger pointed at the most likely culprit … :-)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2019 9:40 AM in response to Grant_Y

Problem solved. Gmail support forums were all over it.

If you have this issue, go into Gmail settings and uncheck show for all folders. Exit and restart Mail. Go back to Gmail, and turn everything on. Exit and restart Mail. If Sent mail shows up, you're done. If not, rinse and repeat. Eventually it will start working properly. Not clear whether this is a Catalina Mail or Gmail issue, but I have my finger pointed at the most likely culprit … :-)

IMAP Gmail and Mail on Catalina — odd behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.