You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.15 problem with wifi

Yesterday I upgraded my MacBook Pro (2012) to Catalina OS X 10.15. The install went without a hitch and all functionality, including wifi, was normal. This morning everything was still working as expected. This afternoon I tried to do a simple web search and it was still working fine until all of a sudden I could not reach any web site. When I checked to see if I was still connected to my wifi router the message "WiFi: Looking for networks" appeared for a few seconds, then changed to "WiFi: on" and now toggles back and forth every few seconds. I know that the router and network are functioning normally because I am using it from my iPad to enter this question. I've tried to reboot the Mac but the problem persists. AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 3:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 3:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. As it turns out, this morning I was able to get on the web again with no problems, so I am now more puzzled than ever. Hope it was just some sort of transient bug, but if not I'll post a new question.

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 18, 2019 4:12 PM in response to JAKaye

Please perform the following actions and after each one test to see if the problem is resolved - if so then you can omit the following steps - I have tried to list them in order of increasing effort at least on a Mac and / or an iDevice 

Check to see if the problem is isolated to one device and if other devices connect normally -  

If the answer to 1 is "yes" - try to connect the affected device in another location if possible - café or university 

Please see Apple's recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points 

Settings - WiFi - <network name> - Click on forget the network - do a forced restart as per 4 and then add the network again 

If at home - reboot the router by unplugging for 60 seconds from the AC (mains) and then plug it back in - obviously this step cannot       be done in a public place as a café/airport or university. While you are at it - make sure your router is operating on the latest firmware (check manufacturer site) 

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings - remember to have WiFi passwords handy since this erases stored WiFi passwords  

If this is a net new device especially in your home - make sure the router is giving enough DNS numbers to accommodate everything that needs / wants a connection - stuff like the printer, Chromecast get overlooked - ask for details about this if not sure  

Backup the device to iTunes - Restore as NEW (not from backup) using iTunes - see if problem resolves - if yes - restore backup  

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider

Mac OS X 10.15 problem with wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.