You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac looks like a PC on my network

I've got two Macs on my local network. One is a Macbook Pro (recent model) and the other an iMac Pro (also recent).

In the past, when I opened my Network folder, I would see the iMac from the MBP and vice versa. But now, on the MBP, the iMac has a PC icon (and the label "PC"). On the iMac, the MBP has a proper Apple icon. I haven't done anything funky network wise, my setup is pretty much out of the box. Any ideas what is going on here?

I've already done most of the diagnostics here: https://superuser.com/questions/881157/why-can-t-i-see-my-macs-on-lan-under-network, but I can indeed see my macs, and can connect/exchange data between them, but they are not appearing as proper Macs.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 4:11 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

My Mac looks like a PC on my network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.