You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up Time machine through a modem/router/Time Capsule combination

I have been using a Modem with my 7 year old Time Capsule. Lately it intermittently cut out and after unplugging and waiting it was ready to use again. Since Apple is not producing the Time Capsule anymore and checking on this board I decided to invest in a Netgear Modem and router combination. I still would like to use my Time Capsule as a backup. The Time Capsule does have a Wan port and my new modem combination multiple Lan ports. What would be my best solution to go forward?

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 5:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 8:05 PM

Reset the TC to factory.. no files are lost on the hard disk.

Plug WAN TC to any LAN port on the new Netgear.

Run the airport utility on the Mac and configure the TC. It must say permanently connected to the netgear by ethernet.

Once finished there are a few changes to make.

In the airport utility click on the TC.. click edit in the summary that pops up.

Go to the Internet tab. Change from DHCP to static IP.. you can leave what is there.. or make it something easy to remember.

eg it comes up with 192.168.1.27 you could change it to 192.168.1.200 for example.. and write it on the TC with post-it note.

Click on Internet Options on that tab at bottom.

Change the IPv6 setting to Link-local only. Click save to hold the new setting.

Go to the wireless tab and turn off wireless.

Now update.

I do recommend simple short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Password same rules but can be longer.

If you run into issues post details with screenshots if possible.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2019 8:05 PM in response to Manfred42

Reset the TC to factory.. no files are lost on the hard disk.

Plug WAN TC to any LAN port on the new Netgear.

Run the airport utility on the Mac and configure the TC. It must say permanently connected to the netgear by ethernet.

Once finished there are a few changes to make.

In the airport utility click on the TC.. click edit in the summary that pops up.

Go to the Internet tab. Change from DHCP to static IP.. you can leave what is there.. or make it something easy to remember.

eg it comes up with 192.168.1.27 you could change it to 192.168.1.200 for example.. and write it on the TC with post-it note.

Click on Internet Options on that tab at bottom.

Change the IPv6 setting to Link-local only. Click save to hold the new setting.

Go to the wireless tab and turn off wireless.

Now update.

I do recommend simple short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Password same rules but can be longer.

If you run into issues post details with screenshots if possible.

Set up Time machine through a modem/router/Time Capsule combination

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.