You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert a second iTunes library in catalina

I have a second iTunes library I want to convert after Catalina. The instructions Apple provides says to just hold down Option when starting iTunes, just like before, and then select the library. I do that, and select my iTunes library folder (just like before), and nothing happens. The dialog box just move down a level in the folders. I have tried selecting other sub-folders, like iTunes Music. Nothing happens except I move down another level in the folders.

I saw a thread that said, in the Catalina beta (back around June), you could only convert the iTunes library that was selected when you upgraded. It was hoped that this would be fixed. The advice then was, if you use the beta, make sure you have your main library selected. What I am experiencing now seems like the problem was not fixed. Unfortunately, I had my secondary library selected when I upgraded.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 4:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 1:56 PM

Press and hold down option as you launch Music or TV. Keep holding until asked to choose or create a library. When choosing a previous iTunes library you need to browse to and open its iTunes Library.itl file. You will also need to choose a location to save the newly converted library.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 6, 2019 1:00 PM in response to Glenn Leishner

Hey there Glenn Leishner,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues upgrading your other iTunes Library for use with macOS Catalina. I’ll be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you’re following the correct steps to upgrade your library: 

Switch libraries with the Music app or Apple TV app in macOS Catalina

Since that’s not working, test this in safe mode to isolate and possibly resolve this issue:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If this doesn’t help, you can reinstall macOS using the steps from the following link. While this should retain your user settings and files, it’s always a good idea to make a backup before doing this:

How to back up your Mac

Reinstall macOS

If the issue continues, you may want to reach out to Apple Support so they can continue to look into this with you:

Contact Apple Support 

Cheers 

Nov 27, 2019 5:38 PM in response to turingtest2

Your instruction would normally work but not in my case. I just got off the phone with Apple tech support (Initially started on Monday), the rep solved the problem after consulting with Apple engineers about this issue. Apparently the process connects the iPhone to iTunes will not shut down even when you log out of your iTunes account, turn off wifi, bluetooth and wireless data on your iPhone or eject the iPhone from iTunes.

The solution:

1. Start Activity Monitor
  2. Locate the service AMPLibraryAgent under the Memory Tab
  3. Quit or Force Quite the process.
  4. Start iTunes while holding the Option key

Then follow the instructions as stated by turingtest2:

1. Select iTunes Library.itl
  2. Complete the save dialog once its presented.

Hope that helps someone else. The Apple rep (Margin) did an outstanding job to find a solution to this frustrating issue. Bravo!

How to convert a second iTunes library in catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.