You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave installation unbootable on external drive

I have a Mac Mini (late 2014) with its stock internal drive and an external SSD via USB. The external drive has Sierra and this is what I always boot from. The internal is a clone of the external just for backup, cloned via SuperDuper.

According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190 I can update directly to Mojave on this Mac Mini. I downloaded the installer from the App Store and ran it to install on the external drive. It took about 25 minutes and gave a "success" message, prompting me to restart to finish. When I restarted, it booted from the internal drive instead. I went to the Startup Disk pref pane and made sure the external was selected and tried again. It booted again from the internal drive. Good thing I had it as a backup :)

In the Startup Disk pref pane, the external drive is selectable but it still shows as a Sierra boot. I can tell the install did write to the external drive but I suppose it didn't finish. I ran the installer again -- it only took a few minutes and again showed "success" and a restart prompt. Same result.

Before I take the time to wipe the external drive and try a clean install (then restore all my stuff), anyone know what's going on?

thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 3:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 1:22 PM

Option at boot worked when I switched the keyboard to a different USB port. I can now boot into my external drive(s) but only via the boot menu, not by setting it Startup Disk pref pane. Not perfect but good enough...

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 2, 2019 7:38 PM in response to mister coffee

More info:

I cloned the working internal boot drive back to the previously-working external SSD. So in theory I would be back where I started, with the SSD running Sierra and being my boot drive. But it still won't boot into it and it still shows as a valid choice in the Startup Disk pref pane. I tried resetting the NVRAM but no luck. Now I'm really confused :/

Nov 3, 2019 1:05 PM in response to mister coffee

UPDATE:

I created a brand-new Sierra install on another USB external drive (HDD not SSD). I can't boot from this one either -- so it looks like I've lost the ability to boot from *any* USB drive. It's the same symptoms -- drive is selectable in Startup Disk pref pane but it boots to the internal drive anyway. Holding down option at startup does literally nothing -- no boot menu, it just goes right to booting from the internal drive as if no key is pressed.

For clarity, my keyboard is Apple wired.

I tried resetting the SMC -- the reset happened but no change in the issue.

Mojave installation unbootable on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.