You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina has locked all non-PDF files on my Desktop, Pages, and Photos

Since the "upgrade," If I try to open a jpg file on my Desktop, Preview gives me an error message like this: The file “imgs325.jpg” couldn’t be opened.

If I try to move that file into a desktop folder or even into the Trash, it won't go. The usual plunking noise happens, but the file hasn't moved.

Also, I cannot highlight and print an item on my Desktop.

Indeed, I cannot open any files in my Desktop folders!--unless they are in PDF. I get an error message.

So, I can't get into my working files, not even to print them.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 6:29 PM

13 replies

Nov 27, 2019 9:11 AM in response to Deborah Bezanis1

Apple has "upgraded" file and folder security, locking down the following User folders: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Mail and Safari cache to "improve" security. This is not working perfectly yet, so we have to wait for a "fix." Both of our MacBook Pros running 10.15.1 are experiencing the same issue. When it occurs, I cannot open or save ANY file to the Desktop, for example. I shut down every night and restart every morning, but the issue happens again randomly.

Catalina has locked all non-PDF files on my Desktop, Pages, and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.