You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a book from Apple Book Store to my Mac's Books.app (Catalina)?

Under macOS 10.15.1 (Catalina), from the Books app I can go to the Store, select a free book such as "The Swift Programming Language, Swift 5.1 Edition", and click the Read button to read it.

But how do I add it to my Books.app library? So that I don't have to keep going to the Book Store each time.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 12:28 PM

That a previous version of the book shows up in your library was not clear from your original question. The way it's supposed to work is the new version should replace the old version in your library. I've seen cases where that happens, but Books fails to update the cover image in the library, so that when you actually open the book you get the new content even though the library shows the old cover.

If that's not working for you then my suggestion would be to delete the current book from your library and download the book again from the Book Store. Again, could be that the cover image does not get updated in the library, but you should have the latest version of the actual book on your disk.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2019 12:28 PM in response to murrayE

That a previous version of the book shows up in your library was not clear from your original question. The way it's supposed to work is the new version should replace the old version in your library. I've seen cases where that happens, but Books fails to update the cover image in the library, so that when you actually open the book you get the new content even though the library shows the old cover.

If that's not working for you then my suggestion would be to delete the current book from your library and download the book again from the Book Store. Again, could be that the cover image does not get updated in the library, but you should have the latest version of the actual book on your disk.

How do I add a book from Apple Book Store to my Mac's Books.app (Catalina)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.