You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview deletes inserted blank pages

Whenever I insert a blank page using Preview, use markup to add some text to the blank page, and then save and close the document, and then open it up again, the blank page gets deleted and i have no access to the additional text I've made. This was horrendous when I lost more than half my homework.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 1:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 8:47 AM

Hello,

I have the same issue of tashfin64 when I add a blank page to a PDF file opened in Preview.

I add a new blank page to the PDF, write on the page with the preview tools, save the changes, close the document. When I open the document again all the pages that I have insert are deleted. The same occurs also if I don't modify the new blank page. But instead, if I write in the other pages (originally present in the PDF), the changes are saved.

I have tried the procedures (in safe mode and with another user) that you have suggested with different PDF files, but there is always the same problem. I also have the latest version of macOS Catalina.

Thanks

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2019 8:47 AM in response to i_rina

Hello,

I have the same issue of tashfin64 when I add a blank page to a PDF file opened in Preview.

I add a new blank page to the PDF, write on the page with the preview tools, save the changes, close the document. When I open the document again all the pages that I have insert are deleted. The same occurs also if I don't modify the new blank page. But instead, if I write in the other pages (originally present in the PDF), the changes are saved.

I have tried the procedures (in safe mode and with another user) that you have suggested with different PDF files, but there is always the same problem. I also have the latest version of macOS Catalina.

Thanks

Nov 10, 2019 6:24 AM in response to tashfin64

Hello tashfin64,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Preview and adding in pages.

1. I recommend testing if the same is occurring in safe mode. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes is all that is necessary to correct some problems.

When you boot to safe mode, log in to your account and check if the issue is also occurring in safe mode or not. Use this article for the steps to get into safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If everything is working properly in safe mode, but then is not working after you restart the Mac, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

2. If the issue is also occurring in safe mode, move on and test if this problem occurs in a newly created unmodified test administrator user account on your Mac. A test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide. Please check this help article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

After you are done testing, please check the section related to results, titled "If the issue happens in the other account" or "If the issue doesn't happen in the other account”.

Please be aware, some things may be slower in safe mode, as well as some functions are disabled, such as the speakers. If you need more help, please let us know if the issue also occurs in safe mode or the test user.

3. Have you thought about using Notes? Notes User Guide - Apple Support

4. If you still have issues, please clarify what you are opening, like is it a PDF file, image file document, Word or Pages document, etc.? How are you saving this? Are you able to open these in the app, such as a Page document in Pages?

Thanks and have a great rest of your day.

Preview deletes inserted blank pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.