You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents folder is suddenly empty on MacBook - all files gone locally but visible in iCloud drive

LIke the title says, last night I found out that my Documents folder was suddenly empty. All the files and subfolders are gone, and there were tons The files were still there yesterday, as I watched some video files. If I use Spotlight and search for files, I find them but they are under iCloud Drive, where Documents is synced. But the files appear to be gone from their local folder. Files downloaded through Transmission were in a subfolder under Documents and when I open Transmission, it says "no data found" on those particular files. I haven't made any changes to iCloud sync so I don't understand why that folder is suddenly empty.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 5:00 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 10, 2019 4:39 PM in response to ElisaSN

It’s not supposed to be visible in your home folder. When enabled, Finder will only show them in iCloud Drive. They still exist, and are the local storage, but should be invisible in the home folder.

If you disable D&D in iCloud Drive, those folders will reappear, but be empty. At that point the local storage is moved to ~/Library/Mobile Documents

Nov 11, 2019 8:21 AM in response to Barney-15E

It's just so strange because I've had iCloud enable for D&D the whole time, and my local Documents folder has been full and visible the whole time. And now it's visible but empty. I did an experiment, where I used Transmission to download a torrent file, where the download location is a subfolder of the local Documents folder, and that subfolder reappeared. None of the "old" files are there though, just the new one downloading. The new file is not currently on iCloud yet but it looks like it's uploading.

Documents folder is suddenly empty on MacBook - all files gone locally but visible in iCloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.