You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to reinstall macOS it asks for my iCloud sign in. I don’t want to put this because I’m trying to wipe the Mac for recycling. What do I do?

When I try to reinstall macOS it asks for my iCloud sign in. I don’t want to put this because I’m trying to wipe the Mac for recycling. Do I need to reinstall the macOS? I only ask because the article I’m reading says to.

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 8:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 9:36 AM

When you follow these Apple steps before selling, giving away, or trading-in your Mac, you install the version of the operating system that it originally shipped with, and do nothing more that verify that it will boot. Then power it down. Do no configuration after boot up.

5 replies

When I try to reinstall macOS it asks for my iCloud sign in. I don’t want to put this because I’m trying to wipe the Mac for recycling. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.