You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I get with Apple Music family subscription that I don't get with family sharing?

What do I get with Apple Music family subscription that I don't get with family sharing?

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 6:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 8:38 AM

If you don't have an Apple Music Family subscription, each family member that wants access to Apple Music would have to have their own individual subscription. You cannot share the individual subscription via Family Sharing. The Apple Music Family subscription is cheaper than having 2 or more individual subscriptions.

Also see: View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 11, 2019 8:38 AM in response to TimK

If you don't have an Apple Music Family subscription, each family member that wants access to Apple Music would have to have their own individual subscription. You cannot share the individual subscription via Family Sharing. The Apple Music Family subscription is cheaper than having 2 or more individual subscriptions.

Also see: View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2019 10:15 AM in response to FoxFifth

OK, thanks. I think I understand.

There is another thing I'm not sure about. I was going to open another thread, but perhaps you can answer here. I have a lot of music of my own, purchased either digitally or uploaded from my own CDs. I don't want the meta data on these 'songs' to be changed. Is it possible to set it up so that only I can edit or change the meta data, and the other members of the family would have 'read only'? I'm especially concerned about whether songs can be inadvertently deleted.

Also, does 'Family' mean people living in one house? Could my son, for example, remain on the family account when he leaves home to go to university?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.