You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad SplitScreen in SAME APP

On the iPad Pro, I want to work in split screen mode with two documents FROM THE SAME APP, e.g., i want to have two Numbers Apps open simultaneously, so that i can drag a Spreadsheet from one open document into another open document.

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 8:54 AM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2019 10:01 AM in response to Nelliny

Welcome to the community.

This only works for Apps that directly support split screen working. To open a second instance of the same App:

• With the App running in the foreground, swipe-up from the bottom edge of the screen - just enough to make the dock visible (don’t flick as this will return you to the last used home screen; similarly, don’t swipe up and pause before lifting your finger - as this will invoke the task switcher).
  • Drag the App that you wish to run in split screen, from the dock, to either side of the screen - then release; the second App (or second instance of the same App) will open in split screen. Dragging to the extreme edge will open the second App/instance in slide-over mode.

I recommend downloading the iPad User Guide for iPadOS within the Apple Books App. It’s free - and will teach you everything you need to know about the new gestures, multi-tasking - and all the cool new features of iPadOS.

I hope this helps - and resolves your questions.

Nov 11, 2019 12:16 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you, your answer was very clear, especially your articulate description about swiping up from the bottom edge of the screen in just the right way. I tested it on the Mail app which successfully opened on both the left and right sides of the screen, but unfortunately the Numbers App apparently does not support split screen working.

iPad SplitScreen in SAME APP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.