You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synology NAS

I'm hesitating to upgrade an iMAC from Mojave to Catalina because I am afraid to loose connection with a Synology NAS. Am I right to hesitate or am I just worrying for nothing? Are there things to think about or precautions to take?

I would appreciate any advice from people on this forum very much

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 9:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 9:38 AM

Ensure your NAS is broadcasting the right Bonjour credential, and consider connecting with SMB to the fixed IP address of your NAS, not to its name. Ensure your NAS admin credentials and password are in your keychain

Ensure the latest DSM version is on your NAS first

All I can say is that it works for me

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2019 9:38 AM in response to mulberry58

Ensure your NAS is broadcasting the right Bonjour credential, and consider connecting with SMB to the fixed IP address of your NAS, not to its name. Ensure your NAS admin credentials and password are in your keychain

Ensure the latest DSM version is on your NAS first

All I can say is that it works for me

Nov 14, 2019 9:41 AM in response to mulberry58

I made no changes to Catalina (10.15.0/1), or to my Synology NAS configuration — for it to just connect filesystems to my Late 2013 iMac. Serving multiple filesystems from the Synology as Apple File Protocol (AFP) over TCP/IP, and it just works with Catalina, as it has with preceding releases of macOS. I do not use the Synology as a Time Machine backup solution.

Because of the age of my Synology, I am not using anywhere close to the current DiskStation Management Software (DMS).

Synology NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.