You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam or real

I just received a message and I am not sure if it is a scam. I also received a phone call from Apple that someone was trying to hack me which may be a scam.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 2:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 2:36 PM

All such messages are scams from criminals trying to steal your personal and financial information. Close the offending page, and avoid sites that are involved in such bogus advertising tactics.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies

Nov 14, 2019 2:43 PM in response to tootles9238

tootles9238 Said:

Scam or real: I just received a message and I am not sure if it is a scam. I also received a phone call from Apple that someone was trying to hack me which may be a scam.

———-

It’s a Scam:

Take a look at the domain on the address bar: It is nothing of apple.com

That means it is a scam. Let it go. Close your browser.

If there ever is an update, you would see a red-encircled, white-colored number, atop the top-right right corner of the Settings icon.

Nov 14, 2019 3:11 PM in response to tootles9238

Anything like what you’re experiencing that doesn’t look right, in regards to this or anything else in the future, do exactly what you did. Take a screen shot. In addition, take a screen shot of the whole URL. Then, you can report it to Apple and they’ll have the information they need to track the URL’s malicious attempt to hack your device. If that’s the case. Anytime you receive this type of message you should question the validity of what it is and where it came from. Don’t click! :) You did the right thing.

It looks like someone is trying to hack your operating system. Don’t worry... it happens. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar, and take your device to them. Show them what you experienced and they will help. Anything that happens on your devices that seem suspicious, from now until you get to the Genius Bar; take screen shots. Even if you’re not sure. It’s better to be safe and document what you’re experiencing. You can always ask questions and share what you’ve seen. When in doubt, question, document and tell someone... Your local Genius Bar can help. Make an appointment.

Scam or real

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.