You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete items from desktop MacOS Catalina

Hi everyone,

I just recently updated to OS Catalina and it's driving me crazy.

I'm trying to delete loads of unused files from my laptop's desktop but I can't! Neither can I save new files into a desktop (which is very annoying because I have some important folders on desktop).

What do I need to do to have an access to desktop?

Should I move back to Mojave?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 7:50 AM

13 replies

Nov 29, 2019 5:19 AM in response to somanyquestions7

Restart helped for a few days but now it is back.

Kill of Finder did not solved it.

Same issue like with Desktop has Documents. Other like home directory or Downloads works.

Also if I make screenshot it will not be saved to Desktop.

If I try to save some file to Desktop or Documents it will fail with "Can not open Desktop" message. Saving files to home directory or Downloads works.

Drag&drop to Desktop or Documents from Downloads works. D&d from Desktop or Documents does not work.

Seems like that new protection for specific folders behaves incorrectly.

Nov 29, 2019 6:25 AM in response to DigitalChickster

Well, the problem came back... several times. Restarting does solve it temporarily. I've noticed that when I have this issue, I have another issue... where I can't open Excel files. And when I tried to save a Word file to the desktop, I got a message that said something like, "Can't open desktop file." I wasn't trying to open it... I was trying to save TO it. So I'm wondering now if this issue is tied to Microsoft programs? Or it's something to do with the desktop "folder?" I've been on the phone with Apple tech support for many hours trying to figure this out. But since the problem fixes itself upon restart, all we can do is try something, restart... and wait to see if it happens again. I've deleted all Microsoft products from my computer for now, and have not had the issue. But it's also been Thanksgiving vacation, so I haven't used my computer nearly as much as I usually do.

Delete items from desktop MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.