You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will the performance be of Catalina on a stock 2012 Macbook pro?

I have it restored to its original OS (10.9.5) and its blazing fast. Of course it lacks new features, but my friend had this computer running a newer OS and it was awfully slow until I restored it. Anyone here have the base spec's (4GB RAM, 2.5 i5, 500 HDD) and actually get good performance? Or should I keep this mac as is. I use it for web browsing and word doc. Thats it... however the new updated messages App would be nice. I dont feel like pouring money into it to upgrade the ram or HDD.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 3:33 AM

You would need to upgrade the RAM to maximum and also faster SSD drive ~ slow rotational HDD won't do.

This would not be ready for higher macOS version unless the hardware is made ready. System upgrades are available as downloadable installers, which then go to the Apple servers; take time, and require good or better internet speeds.

Most modern macOS require more RAM than 4GB; I'd upgraded both of mine to higher capacity (2- 8GB) chips; and I would not upgrade the system past Mojave 10.14.6. The stock slow RPM hard drive and only 4GB RAM is barely adequate for Mavericks. (Later macOS Catalina 10.15.x requires 64-bit applications and drivers; older software cannot be run.)

• My Upgrades (owc macsales) verified examples of quality parts

Upgrade replacement parts and knowledge of how to install them can be a means toward allowing later macOS there.

The site also has how to install various items; and other fixit sites also have instructions. You may also talk to an authorized Apple reseller and independent service, to see if they could inspect, test, and perform upgrade your Mac. If you've skills and tools; then you may be able to upgrade with correct spec verified quality parts.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2019 3:33 AM in response to Jdudak72

You would need to upgrade the RAM to maximum and also faster SSD drive ~ slow rotational HDD won't do.

This would not be ready for higher macOS version unless the hardware is made ready. System upgrades are available as downloadable installers, which then go to the Apple servers; take time, and require good or better internet speeds.

Most modern macOS require more RAM than 4GB; I'd upgraded both of mine to higher capacity (2- 8GB) chips; and I would not upgrade the system past Mojave 10.14.6. The stock slow RPM hard drive and only 4GB RAM is barely adequate for Mavericks. (Later macOS Catalina 10.15.x requires 64-bit applications and drivers; older software cannot be run.)

• My Upgrades (owc macsales) verified examples of quality parts

Upgrade replacement parts and knowledge of how to install them can be a means toward allowing later macOS there.

The site also has how to install various items; and other fixit sites also have instructions. You may also talk to an authorized Apple reseller and independent service, to see if they could inspect, test, and perform upgrade your Mac. If you've skills and tools; then you may be able to upgrade with correct spec verified quality parts.

Nov 17, 2019 11:12 AM in response to Jdudak72

Jdudak72 wrote:

dont feel like pouring money into it to upgrade the ram or HDD.

??

The 2012 is a real work horse— and can be blazing fast running the latest macOS Catalina for a nominal upgrade.

The last of the truly user upgradeable macs.

Not only do you miss out on the latest features you miss out on the latest security baked into the macOS.

See OWC/macsales— the price to upgrade both SSD and RAM has dropped considerable—

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For MacBook Pro 2012

Memory RAM Upgrades for MacBook Pro (2012 - Late ... - OWC

I can say, it never pays to get too far behind in the hardware or software.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS (10.15.1), i7 1TB SSD 16GB RAM , VirtualBox Wiin.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.