You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync music library option missing

I am having issues syncing my music library to my iphone while I have it plugged into my laptop. I have Windows, Iphone XR. My iphone is showing up when I plug it in and Itunes is running. It will back up, it updates my icloud music library, even adding doubles. My issue is, not all of my music was added when I first synced my phone. When I first got the phone and set it up with Itunes, and I clicked on the phone icon, then went to music, it gave me the option to sync entire library and voice memo's. Now it's only showing me voice memo option. The songs show up on my phone but they have a cloud with a "!" in the middle. In my itunes library, some songs say "waiting", "matched", "apple music". Some have a cloud with a down arrow inside, others have a dotted cloud. HELP!!! I have attached a picture of what itunes shows me when I go to sync my music in itunes.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 7:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 5:05 PM

Hello farmgirl713,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with syncing music.

Since you are using iCloud, your data syncs with iCloud. This article mentions this: Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

"If you use iCloud or other services like Apple Music to keep your content up to date across all of your devices, some syncing features through Finder might be turned off."

If the songs have an iCloud icon next to them, you should be able to download them from iCloud as long as your device has the storage space. About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

This article has icons, and their resolutions, for example, the dotted-line cloud: Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

"A dotted-line cloud

If you see a dotted-line cloud next to a song, then it might mean one of the following:

• Waiting: The song is in the process of being matched and hasn't been uploaded. Choose File > Library > Update Cloud Music Library to resolve this. 
  • Not Uploaded: The song was added from another device and can't be matched. To upload the song, turn on Sync Library on the computer where the original audio file is stored.
  • No longer available: The song is either not available in the Apple Music catalog, or hasn't been released yet."

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2019 5:05 PM in response to farmgirl713

Hello farmgirl713,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with syncing music.

Since you are using iCloud, your data syncs with iCloud. This article mentions this: Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

"If you use iCloud or other services like Apple Music to keep your content up to date across all of your devices, some syncing features through Finder might be turned off."

If the songs have an iCloud icon next to them, you should be able to download them from iCloud as long as your device has the storage space. About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

This article has icons, and their resolutions, for example, the dotted-line cloud: Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

"A dotted-line cloud

If you see a dotted-line cloud next to a song, then it might mean one of the following:

• Waiting: The song is in the process of being matched and hasn't been uploaded. Choose File > Library > Update Cloud Music Library to resolve this. 
  • Not Uploaded: The song was added from another device and can't be matched. To upload the song, turn on Sync Library on the computer where the original audio file is stored.
  • No longer available: The song is either not available in the Apple Music catalog, or hasn't been released yet."

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

sync music library option missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.