You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep Mac from reopening apps on reboot

Lately my MacBook has been reopening apps when I reboot. It might be related to the Catalina update, since this hasn't previously been a problem. I always quit all apps before I shut down; I've tried unchecking the "reopen windows" box when I shut down; I've checked in system preferences and I don't have any apps listed as login items. Nevertheless, whatever apps I had opened before I shut down the computer open automatically the next time I reboot. Does anyone know how to keep this from happening?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 10:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 12:09 PM

I suspect that the same check box is preselected on the Restart and Logout dialogs, and until you uncheck these, it may still reopen applications on reboot — despite having unchecked that selection in the Shutdown dialog.

In System Preferences : General, you will also need to select Close windows when quitting an app.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2019 12:09 PM in response to Souffle_Girl

I suspect that the same check box is preselected on the Restart and Logout dialogs, and until you uncheck these, it may still reopen applications on reboot — despite having unchecked that selection in the Shutdown dialog.

In System Preferences : General, you will also need to select Close windows when quitting an app.

Keep Mac from reopening apps on reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.