You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backups failing or very slow after upgrading to Catalina

TM backups to a USB3 external HDD on my 10.14.6 installation were working normally. However, after a clean install in a new APFS volume of Catalina, my TM back ups now either take a very long time (frequently just hanging for an hour or two and then proceeding at snail's pace, or fail right at the end. I have tried performing first aid on the external drive several times, but it hasn't made any difference. Is this a known Catalina problem or is it likely a disk or backup folder error and I need to wipe my TM drive and start again?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 7:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 9:43 PM

Wiping it as HFS+ and repairing the volume and drive multiple times with Disk Utility didn't help, even when running TM to an empty drive. Eventually I wiped it again (for the 3rd time or so) and I tried a complete drive scan with WD Drive Utilities (which failed right at the end after 6-12 hours) - not sure if it repaired anything), then I did a chkdsk using admin level command prompt in Windows 10 (reported no bad sectors, finished in 10 seconds), restarted into OS X and ran TM again and now it works fine, actually even better than ever (that I can remember).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2019 9:43 PM in response to PliSsK

Wiping it as HFS+ and repairing the volume and drive multiple times with Disk Utility didn't help, even when running TM to an empty drive. Eventually I wiped it again (for the 3rd time or so) and I tried a complete drive scan with WD Drive Utilities (which failed right at the end after 6-12 hours) - not sure if it repaired anything), then I did a chkdsk using admin level command prompt in Windows 10 (reported no bad sectors, finished in 10 seconds), restarted into OS X and ran TM again and now it works fine, actually even better than ever (that I can remember).

Time Machine backups failing or very slow after upgrading to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.