You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I retrieve pictures in iPhoto?

I updated my MacBookPro to MacOS 10.15.1. Now I cannot access iPhoto. How can I retrieve my old photos?

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 9:25 AM

Photos for Mac is the successor to iPhoto and can open your iPhoto Libraries.

Try the following:

• Drag the crossed out iPhotos.app onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

Then Photos will open your most recent iPhoto Library and create a new Photos Library. You can access your photos and albums this way.

If Photos should come up with an empty library, you may have to select the library manually.

• Quit Photos, if it is running, hold down the options key ⌥, then double click Photos to bring up the library Chooser dialog and select your iPhoto Library.

To get you started with Photos, see the user guide: Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Overwhelmed1937

Photos for Mac is the successor to iPhoto and can open your iPhoto Libraries.

Try the following:

• Drag the crossed out iPhotos.app onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

Then Photos will open your most recent iPhoto Library and create a new Photos Library. You can access your photos and albums this way.

If Photos should come up with an empty library, you may have to select the library manually.

• Quit Photos, if it is running, hold down the options key ⌥, then double click Photos to bring up the library Chooser dialog and select your iPhoto Library.

To get you started with Photos, see the user guide: Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

How can I retrieve pictures in iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.