You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina photos library - crashes, goes slow, presents fuzzy images

trying not to rant....and a little bit of history

MacBook Pro 2018 - 25000 photos and 1500 videos

Mojave - all photos and library off-mac on a Synology NAS drive ,all working fine, could import with no problem, photos was responsive, finding faces seemed a breeze, all in all a happy situation.

Catalina - started out with photos and library on Synology NAS as before, but nightmare - had to rebuild library at least twice, and could not import any new photos. Was told by phone support it was due to fact that library off-mac on non-mac format disk (a no-no).

So copied 64GB library to local disk. But, still had to rebuild at least once. Photos is totally flaky, often photos are blurred when I start it up ( I'm not syncing to iCloud) sometimes not, It goes off for a think for 10 minutes, then stops working, crash report etc etc. Had to hard kill at least 5 times. And I've not even mentioned the progress of the scanning, yet.

What are the parameters and constraints within which Photos actually works ? Can anyone tell me that ? and when will it finish 'scanning the remaining 25343 photos' that it keeps telling me its doing, but numbers are not changing.

Please point me at some sites/docs/posts that tell me:

Where do all my photos have to be located for photos to work ?

How do I make sure that 'scanning the remaining X' photos actually finishes ?

When will someone contact me about all the crash reports I keep sending in ?

TIA

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 9:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 10:53 AM

The problem is that Photos was never designed to work on a NAS. It did for many but eventually they ran into trouble like you did. With Catalina NAS is an absolute NO-NO for Photos libraries. It must be located on an EHD formatted as shown in this screen shot and connected by cable:

The following is from this Apple document:Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support.

To prevent data loss, Apple doesn't recommend storing photo libraries on external storage devices like SD cards and USB flash drives, or drives that are shared on a network.

Do you have the iCloud Photo library option enabled on your library? If so do you have "Optimize Mac storage" enabled?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2019 10:53 AM in response to yorkie222

The problem is that Photos was never designed to work on a NAS. It did for many but eventually they ran into trouble like you did. With Catalina NAS is an absolute NO-NO for Photos libraries. It must be located on an EHD formatted as shown in this screen shot and connected by cable:

The following is from this Apple document:Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support.

To prevent data loss, Apple doesn't recommend storing photo libraries on external storage devices like SD cards and USB flash drives, or drives that are shared on a network.

Do you have the iCloud Photo library option enabled on your library? If so do you have "Optimize Mac storage" enabled?

Catalina photos library - crashes, goes slow, presents fuzzy images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.