You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't keyframe text properties in FCP?

Hi,

I have some Text (animated Title) and want to animate the letter spacing with keyframes.

However, I cannot add keyframes to "letter spacing".

This is a "Title" that is created in Motion 5. IIRC it is a stock item in Motion. (It's called Substitute In). If I publish letter spacing in Motion, it does not help.

I can also add letter spacing as an effect layer in Motion, but it only shows up as a checkbox in FCP but not editable.

Does anyone know how I can enable keyframes for text properties?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 7:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 1:37 PM

In general, you cannot publish parameters already keyframed in Motion or under Behavior control... FCPX will ignore the published parameters in favor of the animation controls.

There is a Behaviors > Parameter > Custom Behavior you can add to your text object, then in the Custom inspector: Add Parameter > Add and from the drop down menu add a parameter you want to publish. You can add as many parameters as you need from the object (in this case Text) and publish the parameters from there. Custom parameters are (generally) additive to the "state" of the animated parameters and can be keyframed in Final Cut.

To apply a Tracking parameter for publishing, in the Custom Add menu, look for Styles > Style > Tracking.

There is also a Track In text behavior that might already do what you are looking for without keyframing. You can add that on top of the Substitute In and both behaviors will work together.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2019 1:37 PM in response to papalapapp

In general, you cannot publish parameters already keyframed in Motion or under Behavior control... FCPX will ignore the published parameters in favor of the animation controls.

There is a Behaviors > Parameter > Custom Behavior you can add to your text object, then in the Custom inspector: Add Parameter > Add and from the drop down menu add a parameter you want to publish. You can add as many parameters as you need from the object (in this case Text) and publish the parameters from there. Custom parameters are (generally) additive to the "state" of the animated parameters and can be keyframed in Final Cut.

To apply a Tracking parameter for publishing, in the Custom Add menu, look for Styles > Style > Tracking.

There is also a Track In text behavior that might already do what you are looking for without keyframing. You can add that on top of the Substitute In and both behaviors will work together.

Nov 29, 2019 4:07 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks, that was really helpful and solved my question. What I found out are two ways to add the letter spacing keyframes.

One way is to "deactivate" letter spacing but also "publish" it in Motion ("Information > Text > Format"). Now in FCP there are two sliders for letter spacing in the same panel (published parameters). One of them does not work at all. But the other one works including keyframes.

The other way is what you suggested by adding an additional parameter. This is actually easier to do. Just drag it over and publish it.

Adding some screenshots. "Letter spacing" = "Laufweite".

Can't keyframe text properties in FCP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.