You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie - superimpose vertical video on blank bg and add lyrics on left?

Hello everyone! The title pretty much says it all. I am trying to create a video in iMovie where I superimpose a vertical video of myself singing over a plain black bg (resulting in a horizontal video) and add text on the left (or the right - it really doesn't matter to me). I have sketched out the general idea below (please disregard my awkward face haha! :) Is there a way to do this? It doesn't seem like this should be that hard to do, but right now it keeps covering up the vertical video with the black bg and putting the text under the video of me, and I'd like to fix that. Thank you! :)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 2:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 5:11 PM

Hi, ALB4,

Do a split screen overlay with a black background on top and the clip below with your singing. Share it out. Import it back in and insert the movie into the time line. Then add your title to the black side. I used the Full title but the Scrolling Credits title could work as well. With Scrolling Credits you can delete out all the default text and type in anything you want.

-- Rich

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2019 5:11 PM in response to ALB4

Hi, ALB4,

Do a split screen overlay with a black background on top and the clip below with your singing. Share it out. Import it back in and insert the movie into the time line. Then add your title to the black side. I used the Full title but the Scrolling Credits title could work as well. With Scrolling Credits you can delete out all the default text and type in anything you want.

-- Rich

Nov 28, 2019 10:06 PM in response to ALB4

You are welcome.

Everything that shares out of iMovie is Mp4/AAC format, except when you use the Best Quality (pro res) setting, in which case you will get a .mov file. Perhaps you shared out as a Best Quality (pro res) .mov file that QuickTimePlayer could not play, because QuickTimePlayer can play Mp4/AAC with no problem.

— Rich

Nov 29, 2019 12:49 PM in response to ALB4

An alternative would be to export it out at Better Quality instead of Best Quality (pro res). I doubt that the human eye would tell the difference unless you are playing it on a movie theater screen. See if you are satisfied with the result. If you want, after you have added your lyrics in iMovie you can export it back out again at Best Quality (pro res).

Aside from that, the .mov file that you originally exported should import back into iMovie. Drag it from your desktop into the timeline of an iMovie project. It should go right in. If it doesn't, I have no explanation of why that would be unless there was some corrupt preference in iMovie. If that might be the case, you could try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project. Now see if you can import your .mov file.

Also, it is possible that the import issue is confined to just this one project. You could try importing it into a newly created project to see if it works there.

-- Rich

Imovie - superimpose vertical video on blank bg and add lyrics on left?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.