You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which Mac OSX versions of iTunes no longer connect to the App store

I used to be able to use iTunes v11.3 on a couple of our Macs to connect just fine to the App Store.

Now there is a -50 error after trying to sign in.

Sign in on iDevices works fine.

I believe I read that older versions of iTunes would no longer be able to connect to the App Store after some point/date.

OR perhaps it is not the iTunes version but rather the Mac OSX version?

I read that iTunes v. 12.5 onward does not access the App Store but that is not my question.

Any reference to a chart etc. that shows compatibility would be appreciated!

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 1:28 PM

12.6.5.3 should work. It is an out of sequence version that still supports app management. For Windows there is a cut off for other builds earlier than 12.7.2.58. Not quite sure specifically where the line is drawn for iTunes versions in OS X/macOS, but you need 10.9 Mavericks or better to access the iTunes Store for certain activity. See About App Store and iTunes Store availability - Apple Support for details.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2019 1:28 PM in response to icwvx

12.6.5.3 should work. It is an out of sequence version that still supports app management. For Windows there is a cut off for other builds earlier than 12.7.2.58. Not quite sure specifically where the line is drawn for iTunes versions in OS X/macOS, but you need 10.9 Mavericks or better to access the iTunes Store for certain activity. See About App Store and iTunes Store availability - Apple Support for details.

tt2

Nov 29, 2019 1:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the link however it addresses a problem with changing payment methods.

I want to be able to download apps which I can not do with iTunes 12.6

I did find that iTunes 12.3 works fine with Mavericks.

For the older Macs with Snow Leopard AFAIK they can not run iTunes 12.

So perhaps I should have phrased my original question "Has Apple just dropped support for iTunes v11?"

as I used it a few weeks ago just fine.

Nov 29, 2019 4:21 PM in response to turingtest2

I thought I had iTunes 12.6 on one Mac but is is 12.7 - hence no app management.

I tend to download apps I think I might want later - not wanting to put it off and then find out the app requires an iOS I do not have or can not have due to the age of the iDevice.

I don't want to fill up the iDevice(s) with potential apps but a Mac can of course archive endless apps.

I found our Macs with Mavericks & older running iTunes 11 can no longer access the App Store. So Apple must have stopped support for such recently.

At least we can use Macs w/ Mavericks and 12.3 to download then share with devices.

Thank you for that link re: app management with 12.7+

Had we not Mavericks w/12.3 I would look into reverting the Mac w/ 12.7 back to an older version.

Another alternative I believe is to use iMazing on a Mac as they say one can use for app management.

Thanks again!

which Mac OSX versions of iTunes no longer connect to the App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.