You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Office Apps Won't Open (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)

I have a 2015 iMac running the latest version of Catalina and all 3 apps will not work. Excel says not enough memory (32GB of installed RAM and only 11GB used with 320GB+ of free disk space). Word says something about a docfile access issue and powerpoint opens to the 365 login and hangs at loading after that.

I have reinstalled all apps from the App Store. Rebooted the iMac and run first aid on the disk. Nothing changes. I have even tried the apps on my 2018 Mac mini to make sure it wasn't Catalina and they work just fine there.

Any ideas what could be causing these 3 apps to not work?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 4:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 4:34 PM

You need at least Office 2016 to run on Catalina. If you have anything older you need to purchase either Office 2019 or Office 365:

https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-all-microsoft-office-products-b

Similar questions

1 reply

Microsoft Office Apps Won't Open (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.