You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing/Encoding to mp4 with custom settings

I come from years of editing in Vegas Pro on Windows, and I am trying to figure out some basic sharing/encoding features.

I am trying to find a way to have granular control when I encode a video. For example, I want to encode a project into mp4 file, with specific dimensions and bit rate. Lets say I have source files that are 4K. And after edit I would to export to 1080p, 60fps, and 18mbps - but I can't find how to do that. Is there an easy method please?

I've attached 2 screenshots showing an example of how I controlled similar functions in Vegas Pro.

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 8:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 8:31 AM

For that kind of control over the export settings, you are going to need Compressor.

With Compressor installed, you can create all sorts of different settings, and use them in FCP X directly.

With just FCP X, you have very little control over such parameters.

2 replies

Dec 3, 2019 8:31 AM in response to Whatatrip

FCP doesn't have that level of control in the applications. It only has some presets. For full control you would need to make custom settings in Compressor. You can then either use the settings in FCP or send the project to Compressor for encoding. It would probably easiest to edit your 4K media in a 1080p project, which would give you better framing control for the output.

Sharing/Encoding to mp4 with custom settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.