You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external SSD as boot drive

I have a Late 2013 21.5in iMac 8Gb with a (slow) 1Tb 5400rpm HDD running Catalina. It takes a good 5 minutes to boot and another 5 minutes to settle after signing in. I like to use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop to process my photos but the load time for these apps is very slow for Lightroom and impossibly slow for Photoshop to the point that I have considered purchasing a new machine. Mojave was always slow so I hoped Catalina might improve things but not so, which made me suspect the HDD to be the source of my problems. I would like to avoid downgrading to Mojave if possible.

However, it is in my mind to purchase an external (Seagate) SSD 500Gb, clone my current main HDD to it using Carbon Copy Cloner and use it to carry the system and apps for booting. When things have settled down I will then remove Catalina and then use my current HDD for data only.

I use Time Machine and Onedrive as backups just in case of problems.

Does this plan sound reasonable?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 2:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 2:54 AM

Thanks for your help, guys!

Seagate 512GB External SSD safely installed (about 1 minute) and cloned with Catalina and APFS (about six hours) using Carbon Copy Cloner. All working amazingly fast and stable.

42 secs to sign-in screen compared with 4 min 8 secs for 5400 rpm HDD. Blackmagic showing read times at 420 and write times at 350. Lightroom takes about 15 seconds to load and settle and Photoshop is very very useable now. Even my wireless printer is more responsive! I have sufficient space on the SSD for all my data and now have plenty of room for backups on the old drive.

I am content with this approach rather than attempting to perform surgery on the iMac but, having said that, when the time does come to replace then a HDD is definitely not going to be an option. It's shame that I can't increase the RAM to 16GB but I can happily run with what I've for now.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2019 2:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your help, guys!

Seagate 512GB External SSD safely installed (about 1 minute) and cloned with Catalina and APFS (about six hours) using Carbon Copy Cloner. All working amazingly fast and stable.

42 secs to sign-in screen compared with 4 min 8 secs for 5400 rpm HDD. Blackmagic showing read times at 420 and write times at 350. Lightroom takes about 15 seconds to load and settle and Photoshop is very very useable now. Even my wireless printer is more responsive! I have sufficient space on the SSD for all my data and now have plenty of room for backups on the old drive.

I am content with this approach rather than attempting to perform surgery on the iMac but, having said that, when the time does come to replace then a HDD is definitely not going to be an option. It's shame that I can't increase the RAM to 16GB but I can happily run with what I've for now.

Dec 4, 2019 4:15 AM in response to jhedleyj

Why not buy a1TB SSD which are around the $100 mark now, and clone it bootable then install it in the macbook in place of the HDD. 30 minute job to swap. You need a small torx and small philips set. I got mine for a couple $.

I did this to my mid-2012 mbp and boot time is 45 seconds. I have 16GB RAM.

Booting from USB is not fast!

Dec 4, 2019 8:22 AM in response to jhedleyj

With 8GB of RAM, the system is quite paltry for the likes

of the Adobe memory hogs of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop.

When I was still on the Adobe Cash Cow (CC), I would occasionally

monitor the memory use of these apps and with both running,

they would start at 4GB usage and rapidly grow from there. In one

session, I recall Lightroom itself sucking up over 5GB. I would imagine

on system with 8GB, memory swapping to disk would happen nearly

immediately. I have worked with Photoshop at least since version 1.0,

and it has always been the case of these apps needing copious amounts

of RAM to run efficiently.

While unlike some later 21.5 iMacs which have RAM soldered in, the 2013

is socketed and can be replaced but essentially require a complete teardown to

do it, even more so than replacing the drive.

You could try and locate a Authorized Apple Service Provider nearby

and try and see if they will do it and get a quote.

Using external SSD as boot drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.