You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I bypass ethernet for internet connection?

Hi

My ethernet speeds are slowed due to the wiring of our network.

The internet speeds are markedly faster on our Wifi.

I do need the ethernet connection for communicating with other hardware in our network (printers, etc).

Is there a way to bypass the ethernet connection on my iMac for using the internet?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 6:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 12:01 AM

Go to Network system preference. If there is a lock icon at the bottom-left, click it and unlock.

Select the Internet connection, then click the gear icon at the bottom of the list.

You can then choose "Make Service Inactive", or "Set Service Order" and move Internet below Wi-Fi.

Click the Apply button at bottom=right.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2019 12:01 AM in response to A Silverstone

Go to Network system preference. If there is a lock icon at the bottom-left, click it and unlock.

Select the Internet connection, then click the gear icon at the bottom of the list.

You can then choose "Make Service Inactive", or "Set Service Order" and move Internet below Wi-Fi.

Click the Apply button at bottom=right.

Can I bypass ethernet for internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.