You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Necessity of paid Apple Developer Program

Does one need a paid Developer account to publish iOS/iPadOS apps, like on the App Store? Even if it will be a free app to end users?

I’m stepping in the wonderful world of Swift programming, but there are still a lot of practical things that I have to figure out, as I go forward with this. The first programming goal is to develop this app idea for iPad, that a select group of others can use. (I don't mind others getting it, but it will be customized/tailored for this group/organisation.)

Is there anything like a checklist for beginners?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 1:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 12:42 PM

Yes. A paid developer account is required for iOS and iPadOS apps. It is pretty much required these days for Mac apps as well.

The price is irrelevant. A free app might even cause your account to be suspicious. There are an awful lot of developers deserving of suspicion these days.

I don’t know of any checklist. It is totally the Wild West, with Fool’s Gold in every mountain, miracle potions for sale in every town, and nary a sheriff in sight.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2019 12:42 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Yes. A paid developer account is required for iOS and iPadOS apps. It is pretty much required these days for Mac apps as well.

The price is irrelevant. A free app might even cause your account to be suspicious. There are an awful lot of developers deserving of suspicion these days.

I don’t know of any checklist. It is totally the Wild West, with Fool’s Gold in every mountain, miracle potions for sale in every town, and nary a sheriff in sight.

Necessity of paid Apple Developer Program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.