You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB SuperDrive will not work. When I plug it in, I get this message, "Connect Apple USB SuperDrive to a USB port on this Mac." It's plugged in through a hub.

The disk will not stay in. The instructions say to use an USB-C to USB adapter to connect. So it looks like the USB-C Multimedia Hub will not work with it. What do you think?

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 9:44 AM

Does your hub have its own power supply?

Hubs are fine but you need the proper one. A self-powered hub should be used for anything with a drive motor, like an optical drive. "Self-powered" means the hub has an independent power supply so the device attached is not drawing power from the computer's USB port.

Example:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sabrent/HBU930/

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2019 9:44 AM in response to Lyla298

Hubs are fine but you need the proper one. A self-powered hub should be used for anything with a drive motor, like an optical drive. "Self-powered" means the hub has an independent power supply so the device attached is not drawing power from the computer's USB port.

Example:

Dec 5, 2019 10:39 AM in response to Allan Jones

Allan Jones wrote:

Example:

Not with the Apple USB SuperDrive. Not even powered hubs. It's limited to direct connections to a USB-A port on a supported Mac, a USB-C to USB-A adapter (apparently doesn't have to be Apple) or one of two Apple adapters that only have a single USB-A port.

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support
To connect your SuperDrive to a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac, you can use one of these adapters
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
USB-C to USB Adapter

MacOS should literally refuse to mount it if it's not a supported computer and/or there's anything in between other than Apple's supported adapters. I believe a generic USB-A (female) to USB-C adapter should work though, but something like that doesn't even show up in the USB tree.

Dec 5, 2019 9:22 AM in response to Lyla298

Hmmmm...you could try doing a reset smc/zap pram on your MacBook Pro, but I suspect that the SuperDrive is not getting enough power . Try plugging it in directly to your MacBook Pro and see what happens. Oh, and as for the disk itself, is it a commercial or homemade disk ? You might want to try using a dvd cleaning disk which you can buy at tech stores, drugstores, office supply stores, places like that

john b

Apple USB SuperDrive will not work. When I plug it in, I get this message, "Connect Apple USB SuperDrive to a USB port on this Mac." It's plugged in through a hub.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.