You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move my entire Documents Folder and Desktop files from iCloud back to my MacBookPro?

Some how in the past my Documents folder (lots of sub folders) and my Desktop Files got moved to iCloud. I want to move them back to my MacBookPro and not have them stored in iCloud.

I see several very conflicting instructions on how to do this in the various threads here. I don't want to lose any of these folders or files.

Is it as simple as deselecting the option in iCloud to store them there? Will that move them back to my local disk on my MacBookPro?

I'm ready to upgrade to Catalina. Should I do that first, or move the files first?

Help please!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 11:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 12:13 PM

You can do it before or after you upgrade to Catalina.

For how to do it, see the following instructions from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

1. From your Mac, go to Apple menu  > System Preferences > iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, you have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. Whether you decide to keep a local copy or not, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. If you choose to keep a local copy, your files in iCloud Drive are copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. Then you have the option to move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents, back to your new local Desktop and Documents.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2019 12:13 PM in response to veehbJ

You can do it before or after you upgrade to Catalina.

For how to do it, see the following instructions from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

1. From your Mac, go to Apple menu  > System Preferences > iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, you have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. Whether you decide to keep a local copy or not, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. If you choose to keep a local copy, your files in iCloud Drive are copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. Then you have the option to move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents, back to your new local Desktop and Documents.

Dec 8, 2019 9:03 AM in response to FoxFifth

Fox Fifth,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did as you suggested and now have my documents and desktop back on my MacBook Pro where they belong. I don't remember telling iCloud to move these folders. Did it happen during an MacOS upgrade?

They are still on iCloud. If I have unchecked the boxes in iCloud to store these folder, and I have, can I now delete them from iCloud? A little nervous to do that.

It gave me a good opportunity to prune my documents folder and desktop. Got rid of a bunch of stuff that I don't need on the MacBook Pro, as it is on my iMac.

I find iCloud very confusing and am having trouble getting photos on the MacBook Pro to work with iCloud. My new iPhone 11 Pro will not automatically upload photos to iCloud. I had to load them to my iMac and then they went to iCloud. I've been through all the settings on both devices and can't see a way to make them link Photos to iCloud. More study and work to do here.

Again, thanks for your reply and help.

veehbj

Dec 8, 2019 10:50 AM in response to veehbJ

re: They are still on iCloud. If I have unchecked the boxes in iCloud to store these folder, and I have, can I now delete them from iCloud? A little nervous to do that.

If you have turned off iCloud Drive and moved the files to where you want them you should be able to safely delete them from iCloud. If you want to be extra safe, delete a single file and wait a day or two. Also, you should have a backup of your Mac; actually two, one onsite and one offsite in case of fire or theft. The offsite one could be a hard drive that you rotate offsite or a 3rd party online backup service.

The one and only setting that you should need to turn on for your iPhone 11 Pro photos to sync to the cloud is Settings > [username] > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photos. Then wait; it can take awhile for everything to sync.

Optionally, if you want to potentially reduce the space needed on the phone, you may want to also turn on Optimize iPhone Storage on that same screen.

Note that if you have synced your MacBook photos to iCloud Photos they will also sync to your phone.

How do I move my entire Documents Folder and Desktop files from iCloud back to my MacBookPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.